Provincial government to continue to support the Schweizer-Reneke bereaved families

Four (4) of the nineteen (19) people were buried yesterday. Fourteen (14) of the nineteen (19) are from Ntlatseng. Four survivors are recuperating at the hospital,
Picture: Supplied.

Schweizer Reneke: North West Provincial Government has committed to continue to support the bereaved in Schweizer-Reneke through available social programmes.

The pronouncement was made by MEC for Social Development Boitumelo Moiloa who addressed a mass funeral of people who died in a horrific road accident, on behalf of North West Premier, Kaobitsa Bushy Maape, which was held at Ipelegeng Multi Purpose Centre in Schweizer-Reneke.

Government has assisted to bury people who were involved in a road accident that happened between Bloemhof and Schweizer-Reneke, which claimed 19 lives a week ago.

MEC Moiloa said the people of North West are still in shock following the accident.

“As the Provincial Government we remain shocked by this accident. We have been on site providing government support since hearing about the disaster. We thank all the departments and everyone who was involved in the funeral preparations to ensure a dignified funeral to the bereaved families” said MEC Moiloa.

Some of the bereaved families are from the Gumbi, Ntlatseng, Malepe, Molaetsi, Molebaloa and Gaudi family.

MEC Moiloa said government through the Department of Social Development, will continue to support the bereaved families.

“We will continue assisting the families through available programmes which include the Psychosocial Support, Social Relief of Distress and SASSA support” said MEC Moiloa to a funeral which was attended by hundreds of local residents.

Four (4) of the nineteen (19) people were buried on Saturday. Fourteen (14) of the nineteen (19) are from Ntlatseng. Four survivors are recuperating at the hospital.

NW Government reflects on SOPA

Images like these to become a thing of the past according to Premier Bushy Maape who delivered his SOPA last month. The executive council had an engagement on the SOPA as they chart a way forward on Service delivery challanges in the NW. Picture sewage spillage in at the Naledi Local Municipality in 2021.

Mahikeng: The North West Provincial Government had a successful Executive Council (EXCO) sitting yesterday, Wednesday, March 02, following the State of the Province Address by Premier Kaobitsa Bushy Maape last month.

The Executive Council reflected among others on the recent head-on-collision accident which claimed 19 lives in Mamusa Local Municipality, and conveyed special condolences to all the affected families, relatives and friends over the tragic loss.

The Executive Council has appointed a team of five MECs constituted by MECs Boitumelo Moiloa, Motlalepula Rosho, Wendy Matsemela, Oageng Molapisi and Sello Lehari, to focus on providing support for the mass funeral of all the deceased. This team will be supported by a technical team led by the Administrator and Director General in the Office of the Premier, and HODs for Social Development, Provincial Treasury, HODs and Administrators for Education, Community Safety and Transport Management and Administrator for Public Works and Roads.

The Executive Council received progress report on stabilisation and optimisation of pharmaceutical services in the North West Province. The report reflected decisive interventions made at the Mmabatho Medical Stores, which include improving financial management and human resources amongst others.  This progress report was endorsed as work in progress registered as a result of the Section 100 intervention in the province.

In addition, the Executive Council reflected on incidents of Gender Based Violence in the province and reiterated a call for all government departments to prioritise interventions in this area as this scourge continues to rear its ugly head.

The Executive Council also welcomed an update report on the District Development Model Presidential Imbizo that is to be held in the Mahikeng on Saturday, 12 March 2022. The Imbizo, which is the first of its kind in the 6th Administration, will be held in observance of the Covid-19 regulations and will afford citizens an opportunity to engage with President Cyril Ramaphosa.  This Imbizo will be preceded by build-up activities in various parts of Mahikeng Local Municipality. 

Issued by the Office of the Premier

NWest Provincial Government to prioritise infrastructure development to resuscitate tourism industry

By Bonolo Mohlakoana


Rustenburg – North West Premier Kaobitsa Bushy Maape maintains that plans to resuscitate the tourism sector will encapsulate prioritising infrastructure development. Premier Maape was addressing stakeholders in the tourism sector in Rustenburg. 

The primary objective of the meeting was to devise strategies which the sector can use to recuperate from the ramifications of the pandemic.  

Premier maintains government has the responsibility to create an enabling environment for tourism to thrive by responding to challenges such as ageing and dilapidating infrastructure. 

“Complaints were raised about the roads around Pilanesberg and we swiftly responded by allocating R50 million to upgrade roads in that area. More funds will be allocated in the next financial year. Our focus is based on two strategic objectives, which are to upgrade and revitalise the infrastructure, and this will contribute in job creation and address challenges such as poverty and unemployment” Premier Maape remarked.   

Tourism is one of the key drivers of the provincial economy and just before the advent of the Covid-19 pandemic, it contributed over sixteen (16) billion rands to the GDP of the province. Premier Maape insists government will also focus its energies on helping small and medium enterprises to circumvent challenges brought by the pandemic.

“Our focus will also be confined within assisting small enterprises to recover from the challenges brought by the pandemic. We have set ourselves timeliness to address all the challenges raised by both established and upcoming entities. We will be moving with speed to address all the concerns raised here” Premier Maape remarked.  

Issued by the Office of the Premier

MAAPE MEETS STAKEHOLDERS IN THE TOURISM SECTOR

By Bonolo Mohlakoana


MAHIKENG: 
Efforts by North West Provincial Government to resuscitate the economy post Covid-19 pandemic are ongoing as Premier Kaobitsa Bushy Maape accompanied by MEC for Economic Development, Environment, Conservation and Tourism Kenetswe Mosenogi, meet with stakeholders in the tourism sector. The primary objective of the meeting is to discuss strategies in which the sector can recuperate from the ramifications of the pandemic.

Tourism was one of the hardest hit sectors by lockdown regulations resulting in closure of many facilities. The industry is one of the key strategic pillars of the provincial economy and its resuscitation will put the economy on a trajectory of recovery and growth.

Members of the Media are invited to cover the event as follows:

Date: Tuesday, 08 February 2022

Time: 10h00 am

Venue: King’s Gate Hotel – Rustenburg

MAAPE ENGAGES AGRICULTURAL SECTOR STAKEHOLDERS in RUSTENBURG

By Bonolo Mohlakoana

North West Premier Bushy Maape addresses farming sector in Rustenburg

Rustenburg – Agriculture is one the key drivers of the economy in North West. It contributes 2.9 % to the GDP in the provincial economy. The province is also the third largest producer of maize and this translates into seventeen (17%) percent of maize produced in South Africa. 

While the province is leading the pack in terms of poultry production as well as vegetable produce such as beetroot and onions it is trailing behind in terms of agro-processing. North West Premier, Bushy Kaobitsa Maape maintains this needs to change. 

“We need to build partnerships with established and emerging farmers, but critically we need to prioritise investments on agricultural infrastructure and facilities. Moreover, we need put more emphasis on mentorship and training for emerging farmers. This will go a long way in accelerating transformation in the sector through expanding our production but most vitally prioritizing access to markets” remarked Premier Maape. 

Government is looking at capitalising on the provincial and district corridors to lure investments into the province.  Among others, this will be carried out through the Accelerated Service Delivery Plan to respond to challenges such as water provision and road infrastructure. 

“The plan is assisting us in creating a tangible environment for business to thrive in our province. We are busy patching potholes and resurfacing our roads so that our produce can move with ease from one point to the other. This model is being implemented across the province” Premier Maape said. 

Farmers during the engagement with the North West provincial government.

MEC for Agriculture and Rural Development, Desbo Mohono said a turn-around strategy has been developed to enhance performance of the agricultural sector in the province. 

“One of the pillars is aggregation which is market access model were investment is made on infrastructure and facilities to accelerate sustainable access to markets for emerging farmers. This include the investments on priority value chains which are able to enhance performance of multiple producers within a specific geographic location” remarked MEC Mohono.

The meeting with farmers forms part of ongoing efforts by government to resuscitate and grow the sector while creating opportunities for new entrants to participate actively in the provincial economy.

MAAPE TO MEET WITH NW AGRICULTURAL SECTOR

By Thebeeitsile Keameditse


MAHIKENG – Premier of the North West, Kaobitsa Bushy Maape accompanied by MEC for Agriculture and Rural Development, Desbo Mohono will hold a stakeholder engagement with industry leaders in the Agricultural Sector.

Emerging farmers as well as farmers unions will be part of the engagement. 
The meeting will amongst others discuss the state of the agricultural economy in the province, promotion of new entrants to agriculture, as well as exploring strategies and ways in which the province can grow the economy and increase the number of jobs in the sector. 


Agriculture is one of the key drivers of the provincial economy and these are ongoing efforts by the provincial government to resuscitate and grow the economy.  
Members of the media are invited to cover the event as follows:

Date: Monday, 7 February 2022Time: 11h00amVenue: Rustenburg Civic Centre

Strengthening existing partnership critical for effective development of North West communities

By Bonolo Mohlakoana

From left:- Tanya Rodgers from the Consulate General, MEC Madoda Sambatha, Consul General Vincent Spera, MEC Kenetswe Mosenogi and Director General of the NWPG Mosweu Paul Mogotlhe

Mahikeng – The North West Provincial leadership is confident that the visit by the United States Consul General Mr Vincent Spera and his delegation will ultimately facilitate improved collaboration and delivery of services to the people of the province. This emerged following the meetings held between the Consul General and the executive leadership of the provincial government, led by the MEC for Economic Development, Environment, Conservation and Tourism (DEDECT) Kenetswe Mosenogi on behalf of Premier Kaobitsa Bushy Maape, as well as the leadership of the Mahikeng Local Municipality. 

Mr Spera who heads the U.S. Consulate General in Johannesburg, a branch of the U.S. Diplomatic Mission to South Africa, is responsible for exploring areas for collaboration and investment in the North West, Free State and Gauteng Provinces.

In his meetings with the leadership of the DEDECT and department of Health, Consul General stated that two of the top priorities of the Consulate Johannesburg, and the U.S. Mission more broadly, are sharing prosperity through economic development and improving health outcomes. “With the already existing partnership, particularly on issues of health which include government’s response to HIV, TB and COVID-19 amongst others, we need to determine whether we are sharing the same priorities, the extent to which the partnership is making the desired impact, and where there are challenges, how can we collectively resolve them for the benefit of the North West community”, remarked Consul General Mr Spera.

The delegation also had a discussion on trade and investment opportunities available in the province which include mining and mineral processing value chain, ICT Broadband, Agriculture and Agro-Processing and renewable energy, and agreed that the provincial government and the US Consul General, will as part of exploring areas for possible trade and investment, engage the affected stakeholders and arrange a visit to the Bojanala Special Economic Zone (SEZ).

“I have had the pleasure of meeting with local and provincial leaders as well as business and labor representatives, and we welcome the depth of the conversations we held during this visit including the desire of the leadership to continue working with us. These direct connections have helped our team better understand the issues and priorities in the province from a variety of perspectives. I look forward to future engagements to continue to build the relationship between the United States and South Africa”, remarked Mr Spera.

Speaking on behalf of Premier, MEC Mosenogi thanked the U.S. Consulate in Johannesburg for their continued support and shared interest in contributing towards the province’s economic prosperity and strengthening its health system for the benefit of the people of the North West Province.

Consul General also met with the Executive Mayor of Mahikeng Local Municipality Cllr Tshepiso Mphehlo and his executive, as well as Kgosi Neo Mokgweetsi who represented Kgosi Jeff Montshioa, and discussed areas of possible collaboration with the local municipality, particularly the socio-economic issues. The delegation also embarked on a walk-about to Lonely-Park clinic and the North West University. On Thursday, 03 February 2022, the Consul General and his delegation will visit the USAID and PACT supported Non-Profit Organisation (NPO) in Koster, and will be joined by the MEC for Social Development, Boitumelo Moiloa. 

MEC MOILOA AND SOCIAL WORKERS TO VISIT FAMILY OF ABDUCTED GIRL IN TAUNG

By Petrus Siko

Taung: North West’s Department of Social Development MEC Boitumelo Moiloa on Tuesday led a team of social workers to assist a traumatised family after their 18-old girl was kidnapped last week Saturday at Modutung village in Taung.

“Our hearts are with the Mothibi family. I have asked that a team of social workers should continue to visit the family to provide them with the necessary psycho-social support in the form of debriefing and trauma counselling. We are with the family during this difficult time,” Moiloa said.

It is alleged that the 18 year -old Oratile Mothibi and her siblings were in the veld when an unknown man abducted her. The siblings tried without success to salvage their sister but the perpetrator overpowered them and disappeared with her. The siblings ran home to inform the parents.

The police used sniffing dogs and a helicopter in search of the missing girl. Community members also took part in searching for the girl in the neighboring villages. Angry community members burnt down two huts belonging to traditional healers at Graspan near Modutung village.

While the search continues MEC Moiloa has called for community members and the traditional leadership to be calm and work with the police.

During her visit to the family Moiloa committed social workers to continue to assist the family in whatever means possible.

Moiloa provided the family with social relief of distress in the form of grocery hampers and vowed to intervene in the living condition of the family.

Kgosi Ponatshego Mothibi of Batlhaping Ba-ga Mothibi said they are so saddened by the disappearance of Oratile. We call on everyone to support the family. “We are eager to accept any assistance from the government,” Kgosi Mothibi said.

Issued by the North West Department of Social Development

Sedibeng Water to be liquidated

By Ofentse Letlape

Mahikeng: Just a year after receiving a bailout of almost R300-million, government is liquidating Sedibeng Water.

Water and Sanitation minister, Senzo Mchunu, made the announcement earlier this week, saying the utility is no longer commercially viable.

Mchunu said once dissolved the functions, assets and liabilities of Sedibeng Water will be taken over by Magalies Water and Bloem Water based in the Northern Cape and Free State respectively.

“North West assets and liabilities will be transferred to Magalies Water, while Free State and Northern Cape assets and liabilities will be taken over by Bloem Water,” Mchunu said.

Spokesperson Sputnik Ratau said affected stakeholders are being consulted.

“Stakeholders are still being consulted. So that process will then inform the kind of communication that goes forward. But yes, we are looking at disestablishment of Sedibeng Water,” Ratau said.

Sedibeng Water acting Chief Executive Officer, Toto Molobye, notified workers in a letter about the liquidation.

“This communication serves to notify you that the Minister of Water and Sanitation, Mr Senzo Mchunu, has approved the disestablishment of Sedibeng Water as an entity and have its constituent parts incorporated into Bloem Water and Magalies Water respectively.

“Briefing sessions where staff members will be afforded an opportunity to raise their concerns and ask clarity seeking questions will be arranged regionally in the next two to three weeks,” he said. | Source Newsnote

%d bloggers like this: